Monday, June 14, 2010

Times Like These......


All night long I have been searching the inter webs for the "perfect" song, poem, lyric, or quote for our situation and our future. It has been hard, I didn't want it to be very negative and I didn't want it to be all about struggle. But I think I found the perfect song for our current moment in time.

I have always loved Jack Johnson; ever since I heard Flake oh so many years ago when I was a wee girl in college. But this song; this song speaks alot about what we have been through lately. The first paragraph simply states:
In times like these
and times like those,
and what will be will be
and so it goes

I am reminded ever day to take one day at a time, sometimes one hour at a time until I feel I can go on. I can't think to far into the future because to be quite honest it sometimes scares the hell out of me. I know to live in the moment and enjoy each and every one, what will be will be and so it goes.

I have always been the kind of person that associates periods in my life with music. That is how it has always been and I have a feeling that is how it will continue to be. Music is a very important part of Ryan and my lifestyle. We spent countless hours picking out all of our songs for our wedding ceremony, reception, and video. They had to be songs that meant something to us and that we had a connection to.

I always find inspiration and hope in Jack Johnson's songs. He is one of my favorites and when Keegan's beats the hell out of this cancer and grows up to be a big strong man like his daddy, I hope he loves Jack Johnson as well.

So, with that said enjoy the song!

But somehow I know it won't be the same
Somehow I know it'll never be the same

4 comments:

  1. Beth I found this poem and I thought of you. I am just like you I put music and poems to events in my life. I hope you love this poem as much as I do............................... hugs Ivy
    By Erma Bombeck



    Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit.

    Did you ever wonder how mothers of children with life threatening illnesses are chosen?



    Somehow, I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting His instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As He observes, He instructs His angels to make notes in a giant ledger.



    "Armstrong, Beth, son, patron saint Matthew. Forrest, Marjorie, daughter, patron saint Cecilia. Rutledge, Carrie, twins, patron saint Gerard."



    Finally, He passes a name to an angel and says, "Give her a child with an illness." The angel is curious. "Why this one God? She's so happy."



    "Exactly" smiles God, "Could I give a child with an illness to a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel."

    "But, does she have patience?" asks the angel.



    "I don't want her to have too much patience or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wears off, she will handle it."



    "I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence that is so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I'm going to give her has it's own world. She has to make it live in her world an that's not going to be easy."



    "But, Lord, I don't think she believes in you." No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness." The angel gasps -"Selfishness? is that a virtue?"



    God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she'll never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take anything her child does for granted. She will never consider a single step ordinary. I will permit her to see clearly the things I see...ignorance, cruelty, prejudice...and allow her to rise above them." She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life, because she is doing My work as surely as if she is here by My side."



    "And what about her patron Saint?" asks the angel. His pen poised in mid-air. God smiles, "A mirror will suffice."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my wife. I am strong because of her, I am strong for her. She may never know how much she helps me because of my front but I love her more than anyone will ever know and thank God she is mine to live, love, and laugh with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following Keegan's story but haven't commented before...just wanted you to know another mom is praying for your sweet boy.

    I've added his button to my son's blog (jackluigi.blogspot.com), I hope you don't mind. Jack had thousands praying for him when he needed it and hopefully now they'll all be praying for Keegan. Miracles happen.

    Our little family of 3 will be praying so hard for yours.
    If there's anyway we can help, please let me know.
    God bless,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback; however, if you have nothing nice, encouraging, uplifting or insightful to say don't say anything at all. Thank You!